Ya’ll go check out the chick’s blog, Pinch of Yum. She is really adorable and she makes some killer recipes like the one we tried today, Crockpot Mexican Chicken. It is insane how good it is. I renamed the recipe, Crockpot Chicken with Beans, and made a couple of changes – see recipe below. I would have added a ton more spice if my sweet angel babies could handle it. Alas, it isn’t the life for me for a little while longer. I’m going to start introducing spice to them in a couple of months. Stay tuned! Anyway, we enjoyed the hot mess out of this recipe tonight and have tons of leftover for lunches this week. YAY!
Recipe: Crockpot Chicken with Beans
Summary: Delicious creamy pinto beans are the star of this recipe, as well as my special taco seasoning ingredients. So many healthy ingredients and so many ways to eat it, YUM!
- 12 oz. jar of your favorite salsa
- 3½ cups water
- 1 lb. bone-in split chicken breasts
- 1 lb. dry pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 T ground cumin
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cayenne (if you are brave, we didn’t use any and it was still tasty)
- 2 ounces or more cream cheese
- salt to taste
- optional – fresh avocado, cheese, fajita shells or rice
- I cooked this for 7 hours on low
- Mix salsa, water, beans in your crockpot, put chicken breasts on top and set your crockpot to low
- Pull the chicken out around 3 hours, check to see if it is done and shred it from the bone, pulling off all the icky parts, refrigerate shredded chicken meat
- Allow beans to continue cooking until you reach 7 hours, stirring only once or twice to keep beans from sticking to bottom of crockpot
- When beans are done, add cream cheese, spices and chicken
- Stir to combine
Top with fresh sliced avocado, grated cheese and serve over brown rice, or wrapped up in a soft fajita shell, or eat it straight out of a bowl!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 7 hour(s)
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)