Diana Ivans, an Italian mom, wife, cook, and super good friend, told me about this delicious pasta and bean recipe one day while we were at the park. That is what us moms do, stand around talking shop (aka food) and pushing babies in swings. It’s rough. Anyway, she mentioned her grandmother and mother taught her how to make it so I begged her to send me the recipe. This soup is so simple, but so flavorful, my whole family loves it.
I changed the recipe a bit and added some kale since I love veggies, and this soup goes into our weekly rotation during the winter. The recipe has everything! Beans for protein, whole wheat pasta for carbs, tomatoes, spices, stock and yeah! Oh, and it takes barely any time at all to prepare, plus it makes enough for at least two dinners for our family of four. Win and win!
Recipe: Pasta fagioli (pasta & beans)
Summary: Serve this simple, healthy soup on a cold night with a loaf of crusty bread.
- 1 cup small whole wheat macaroni – elbows or dilatini
- 2-3 T Olive oil
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth
- ~2 cups of water
- 1 bunch of kale, cleaned and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 head garlic – cleaned and minced (or 10 t minced garlic)
- 1 15 oz. can white kidney beans – cannellini
- 1 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 T Parsley
- 1 T Basil
- 1 T Oregano
- 2 t Salt
- 1/2 t Pepper
- In a medium soup pot add olive oil, turn to medium heat and sauté garlic until lightly brown and fragrant.
- Add kale and stock and saute until kale begins to wilt, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add beans and tomatoes along with liquid on the can.
- Add seasonings and water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni and simmer until al dente, approximately 12 minutes. You may need to add more water, be sure and watch the soup during this stage because the pasta likes to absorb most of the water.
- Check the pasta for doneness and ENJOY!
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)