I cut this recipe out of the Independent Weekly magazine about 8 years ago. I remember this only because my husband and I were dipping our toes in the waters of parenting by babysitting my nephew for an entire weekend. My nephew was 3 at the time and teeny tiny adorable, he played with trucks in this local park for hours, we had to drag him home to feed him and get him to sleep. Oh, and he fell asleep in my arms often, so very sweet. This kid just turned 11 this summer. Yes, this means I’m getting old, hush. Anyway, we had a cookout while he was staying with us and I remember making and eating this delicious summer salad for the cookout, and eating it, and eating it. It is so good and light and refreshing, and healthy. You could not ask for a better salad. You can make it in the afternoon and eat it chilled for dinner, or make it and eat it immediately, either way you will be happy.
Recipe: Tomato and Corn Salad
Summary: Delicious, light and refreshing summer salad with corn, tomatoes, spinach, and mozzarella
- 4 ears corn, shucked
- 1/4 cup EVOO
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 12 cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella shredded
- 2 T fresh oregano, chopped (or a good shake of dried oregano)
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook corn until tender, about 5 minutes, and drain.
- Shred mozzarella while corn is cooking.
- Using a large chef’s knife, stand ears of corn on end and cut down sides of ears to remove kernels, set aside.
- Using medium bowl, whisk together oil and vinegar.
- Add corn, tomatoes, mozzarella, and oregano to bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper and gently toss.
- Arrange in bowl with spinach leaves.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 3
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)